This coloured postcard was made sometime after 1915; that is the year that the ‘first’ Georgia Viaduct — the one shown here — was constructed. This viaduct (unlike the current one, which was constructed in the early 1970s) was not twinned; both eastward and westward lanes were on the same structure — and streetcar tracks were included (visible in the centre lanes), but were never used. The eastern entry to the CPR’s Dunsmuir Tunnel would (by 1932) be located beneath the viaduct (near the Drill Hall, located at the far end of the viaduct, above; the roofline of the drill hall is visible above the viaduct in the CVA image below). Parts of the Dunsmuir Tunnel were used in the 1980s to repurpose some sections of the CPR line for the Stadium-Granville-Burrard-Waterfront sections of the Expo Line Skytrain route.
Recent Posts: Vancouver Contemporary Photos