Detail/crop of CVA: Bo P119 – [H.M.C.S. Vancouver at Gulf of Georgia Towing Co. dock in False Creek], 1937. V Sun photo.
The images above and below show the Gulf of Georgia Towing Co. from different angles. The one above is looking from west of the second Granville Bridge (the swing-span bridge that crossed false creek prior to the construction of the present one in 1952-53) on the north side of False Creek. The image below is a head-on shot of the towing company, made possibly from the south shore of False Creek a bit west of where Granville Island is located (the top of the Hotel Vancouver can be seen in the deep background, to the left). The images show the towing company’s repair yard where it maintained its fleet.
The towing firm was founded by George Walkem during WWI, supplying scows on daily rentals or monthly charters to other tugboat firms. In 1977, Gulf of Georgia Towing was acquired by Seaspan.
The ship at dock in the image above is the first of five (to date) ships known as HMCS Vancouver. It had recently been decommissioned and was about to be scrapped in the year these images were made (1937).
Detail/crop of CVA: Bo N34 – [H.M.C.S. Vancouver being dismantled at the Gulf of Georgia Towing Company on False Creek]. 1937. WJ Moore photo.