Detail of LGN 1010 – [View of Burrard Street, looking south from Georgia Street]. 1914. BCER photo.
This is a crop of a BC Electric photo of Burrard Street looking to the southwest and made in 1914. The Wesley Methodist Church
(William Blackmore, 1902) – an ancestor congregation of St. Andrew’s-Wesley United Church
which would be built a couple decades later up the street at the southwest corner of Burrard and Nelson – is just outside of the right frame (to the north). The six-storey structure in the foreground is the Irwinton Apartment Block
(Braunton and Liebert, 1912). And, its tower silhouetted in the distance at the northwest corner of Nelson at Burrard, is the new-ish building of First Baptist Church
(Burke, Horwood and White, 1911).
Perhaps the most remarkable element of this image is the very rough shape that unpaved Burrard Street was in!