This is another outstanding scene by early Vancouver photographer, P. T. Timms.
Timms would have been standing with his back to the second C.P.R. station (1898-1914; Edward Maxwell, architect) at Granville and Cordova. His camera was pointing up Granville from the intersection with West Hastings. The shops visible on the right side are on the west side of Granville (400 block) between Hastings and Pender. On the right, nearest the camera (at the SW corner of Hastings and Granville) is the McDowell-Burns Drug Co. Not far from the druggist is a sign identifying the Pacific Coast Steamship office (see pamphlet below). The circular sign just beyond the Pacific Coast sign seems to be advertising passage specifically via the steamship Iroquois Seattle (shown in dry dock in the postcard below). Near the corner of Pender and Granville is McIntyre’s Cafe (439 Granville), James A. McIntyre (1893-1925), proprietor, and the Fairfield Building (445 Granville; 1898-ca1949; William Blackmore, architect). Just across Pender at the time (on the SW corner of Pender and Granville) was where Vancouver’s main Post Office (1892-1926; Fuller/Wickenden, architects) was located before it was moved to a new structure at the NW corner of Hastings and Granville in 1910 (today, part of Sinclair Centre).
On the left side of the image (behind where the closest trolley is located) is the site where the Rogers Building would be built a few years later (470 Granville; 1912; Gould and Champney, architects). At the time Timms took this photo, however, the lot at the NE corner of Pender and Granville was occupied by C. D. Rand Real Estate, O. B. Allan Jewellers, and Purdy’s Chocolates. Outside of the crop on the left is what then was the newly-finished Canadian Bank of Commerce (1908; Darling and Pearson, architects) – what today is the home of Birk’s.